Nursing home residents deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. It’s the reason why families often take a lot of time and thought into picking the right nursing home. That’s why nursing home abuse or neglect cases can be so upsetting. Instead of nursing homes taking care of our loved ones, our parents or other family members can suddenly be sick, injured, or worse. When this happens, it’s critical that nursing homes are held accountable for their actions or inaction. A nursing home abuse lawyer can assist in several capacities.
What are nursing home abuse cases?
Nursing home abuse cases can cover a wide range. Some of the most serious nursing home abuse cases a nursing home abuse lawyer can deal with include:
- Physical abuse of nursing home residents
- Sexual abuse of nursing home residents
- Psychological abuse (yelling at nursing home resident)
- Emotional abuse (making fun of someone, teasing, etc.)
What are nursing home neglect cases?
Nursing home neglect can be just as bad as abusing someone. That’s why it’s critical that you take strong legal action right away if a loved one or family member is being neglected in a nursing home. Examples of nursing home neglect include:
- Unsanitary conditions
- Not feeding residents enough
- Physically isolating nursing home residents
- Preventing friends or family members from visiting
- Poor medical care (failing to give medications, regular check-ups, etc.)
Nursing home neglect can have serious consequences. Your loved one’s health and well-being can deteriorate quickly. That’s why it’s critical that you talk to a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer right away. They can stand up for your loved one’s rights and demand justice.
Why do nursing home abuse or neglect cases happen?
Nursing home abuse and neglect cases happen for many different reasons, including:
- Lack of training
- Lack of oversight
- Inexperienced nursing home workers
- Understaffing at nursing home
- Physically abusive workers
- No background checks on workers
Why nursing home abuse or neglect incidents happen matters, and it’s our job to find out exactly what happened to your loved one and demand the compensation your family rightfully deserves.
What makes nursing home abuse or neglect cases so complicated?
Nursing home abuse or neglect cases often turn out to be very complicated legal cases for many different reasons. Often, these cases come down to your word against theirs. Some of the excuses they might try to use to dismiss your legitimate claim include:
- Nursing home denies doing anything wrong
- Nursing home conceals or destroys evidence related to your case
- Nursing home claims your loved one somehow caused their injury
- Nursing home’s insurance company denies your claim
Contact A Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
When you make the difficult decision to place a loved one in a nursing home, you count on the facility to provide quality care and kindness.
After a loved one suffers neglect, abuse, or even wrongful death at the hands of a negligent nursing home, you may be left with anger, guilt, and confusion.